Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies
Ever lay in bed and crave something completely random?
Like, hey, it's 1:17am, this is a totally reasonable time to crave pickle popcorn...isn't it?
While most days it actually is pickles that I'm craving this time I couldn't get pistachios out of my head.
So, as I lay in bed—1:something in the the morning—I start crafting up a cookie recipe that includes pistachios as a means to not just shovel pistachios into my mouth as soon as I get up.
And so, these insomnia-crafted chocolate chip pistachio cookies were born. And they did not disappoint.
Thanks, 1am cravings!
1 cup oat flour
pro tip: if you don't have oat flour make your own by putting old fashioned oats in a blender!
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp coconut sugar
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp flax seed + 1.5 tbsp water
(stir with a fork and let sit, in the refrigerator, for 15 min)
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
3.5 tbsp maple sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp almond milk (vanilla, unsweetened)
1/3 cup roasted, salted pistachios
1/3 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
What You'll Need
Small mixing bowl
Large mixing bowl
Measuring spoons & measuring cups
Fork (for mixing)
Liquid measuring cup
Tea cup (for flax egg)
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Prep flax egg + refrigerate for 15 min
3. In a small mixing bowl add pistachios + chocolate chips, set aside
4. In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients with a fork (using a fork helps to break up any big clumps)
5. Add melted coconut oil to the dry ingredients, mix with fork
6. Add remaining wet ingredients (maple syrup, vanilla, almond milk), mix until well combined
7. Add flax egg, mix with a fork until well combined
8. Add pistachios + chocolate chips
9. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
10. Using your hands roll mixture into about 1tbsp size balls, flattening them slightly, and put them onto the lined cookie sheet about 1 1/2 - 2 inches apart
11. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden
12. Let cool on rack 5-7 min. before eating (if you can wait that long) + enjoy!!
Yield: Approx. 24-28 cookies (depending on sizing)
When I first started baking, photos of recipes always helped me to know if I was on the right track, so here's a few I snapped during the process of making these cookies:
|the "dough" will be very moist + a bit sticky|
|because chocolate chips.|
:: ps :: you can put the dough in a mini-loaf pan, too!
cookies + chocolate chip pistachio bread?!