DIY: Quinoa Burgers

So, Gerry came home and surprised me with this baby:

Naturally, I reacted like any normal person would:
...I've been waiting for this moment for a long time. 

-----
So, to show my appreciation I decided to make dinner using my new baby!
I've been working on creating my own, original, recipes lately
which sometimes doesn't work out so well. 
BUT
Thankfully, this recipe came out delicious and is definitely a keeper. 
Unfortunately, I don't often use measuring spoons or cups when I'm
making something myself... 
So, for some of these measurements I'm guessing,
or using my own terminology like a "smidgen" and an "itty bitty bit."

Vegan, Gluten Free, Quinoa Burgers 

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked quinoa (I used a combo of tri-color, and red)
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 cup gluten free bread crumbs
a handful of shredded carrots 
1/2 an onion
3 cloves of garlic
a handful of raw, shelled, sunflower seeds 
a few pinches of oregano
a few pinches of parsley flakes
an itty bitty bit of paprika (idk how else to describe this. less than a pinch?)
mixed green salad 

* Preheat oven to 325 *

Step 1

Cook quinoa + set aside
Soften sweet potatoes in the microwave (or oven) + set aside 

Step 2: (seasoning)

In the food processor (I used a 3 cup bowl) add:
onion, garlic, sunflower seeds, oregano, parsley, paprika 
and pulse until a pesto-like mixture is formed. 
Set aside. 

Step 3: (the burger "meat")

In the food processor (I used the 11 cup bowl for this part) add:
cooked quinoa, softened sweet potatoes, shredded carrots, and 1/2 cup bread crumbs
Pulse until well mixed. 

Step 4:

Place the quinoa and sweet potato mixture into a large bowl 
and fold in the seasoning mixture. 

Step 5:

Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper

Step 6:

Form mixture into 1" thick round patties
Here's where you'll use the other 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
I sprinkled both sides of the patties with the remaining bread crumbs
in hopes that this would help give them a crunchy exterior (it did, yay!)

* side note *
So, this mixture gets super sticky. 
When you're forming these into patties I found it really helpful to have 
a bowl of water to dip my hands intothis helps to keep it from sticking to your hands.

Step 7:

Bake at 325 for 25 minutes
Flip patties and back for another 25 minutes. 

After baking them for close to an hour I found that they weren't as crispy as I'd hoped,

so... Step 8 was born:

Broil patties on high for 2 minutes
-flip-
Broil on opposite side for an additional 2 minutes

NOW they were perfectly crisped 
and ready to plate over a bed of mixed greens*. 

* Gerry put the quinoa burger + greens + BBQ sauce 
on a hamburger bun = happy man. 


xx
MP

Comments

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmm....sounds so good! Glad your 'happy man' is also a healthy man!! Can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts